We are six days from fall, but who is counting. Me! With Hurricane Florence swirling around us, it had Keith and I cooped up at home. Although I didn’t pull out my autumn decor, I did nest into the start of the season while football was on tv and my kitchen was calling me. During the last few days I had been searching out a really good sweet bread recipe, and I’m delighted to report I found it!
I’ve made 6 loaves in the last few days and my family all agrees this is the best bread I’ve ever made.
Here’s The Recipe:
Amish Sweet Bread
Makes 3 -4 loaves
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Rising Time: 1.5 Hours
3 cups water
1 cup sugar
2 1/4 tablespoon yeast
2 1/4 tablespoons salt
3/8 cup oil
8.25 cups of flour (approximately)
- Heat water for 1.5 – 2 minutes in the microwave
- Add sugar and yeast. Let it proof. This should take approximately 10 – 15 minutes.
- Slowly add flour until the mixture is thick and soupy. Then beat on high for 5 – 7 minutes until mixtures has air bubbles.
- Continue slowly adding flour until the dough is not sticky.
- Place into an oiled bowl and knead dough gently.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and place in a warm spot for 1 – 1.5 hours.
- Punch the dough down and divide the dough into small loaves by cutting with a knife.
- Place loaves into oiled pans and allow to rise for another 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 – 45 minutes until lightly brown on top. Melt butter on top of loaf during last 5 minutes.
- Remove loaves from oven and turn on their side on a wire wrack or wooden cutting board. Allow to cool slightly before enjoying!